"Christ, Above All Persons That Ever Did or Will Appear in the World,
Is the Most Eminent Counselor."
Reflections on his Sermon From 1749: Isaiah 9:6
The prophet Isaiah through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit said, "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and His name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace" (Isa. 9:6 ESV).
What a marvelous description of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! Isaiah’s words not only resounded with Jonathan Edwards and the Eighteenth-century world but they still ring true today. Edwards said in his sermon from 1749, “He, (Christ) has the most eminent qualifications, and the greatest wisdom (Luke 11:49). He is infinite in understanding and perfectly knows our circumstances and us. He
knows our nature and the state of our understanding.”
Edwards understood that every generation needed Christ as Savior, Lord, and Counselor. He pointed out two important aspects of Christ’s counsel to us. First, he said as counselor, Christ reveals to us “the way of our duty, how to answer our Great End,” and ultimately how to “avoid moral Evil and obtain moral Good.” Second, He said Christ as counselor came to reveal to us “The way of our happiness.”
Edwards preached that earthly counselors, who reject Christ and His Word, give counsel that is foolish. Men naturally need what he called “Counsel in many important affairs greatly concerning their welfare,” particularly things regarding “their eternal salvation.” Therefore, not only did Christ appear as our “Redeemer” from heaven, He “is now in a state of exceeding Glory and has received the Reward… and Counsels us from Heaven”… and “is the Counselor of Counselors and Prophets.”
He went on to say, “The Counsels He has actually given are the most excellent that ever were delivered to mankind. The precepts of the Christian Religion are far the most Excellent and far exceeding the sayings of Philosophers and the Counsels of the wisest Politicians, most wise, perfect, and free from all error and practices directed to -- most amiable, most profitable_____The Bible that contains these Counsels is a summary of the most excellent wisdom, a Light shining in a dark world.”
Since this is all true about Christ and His Word, Edwards continued, “Hence how greatly Persons are to blame who neglect their Bibles.” Edwards avidly read his own Bible and urged others to do the same. In final application he mentioned TEN aspects from Scripture that should be obeyed from the Words of Christ the great Counselor.
1. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness" (Matt. 6:33).
2. Christ mentioned, "counting the cost" (Luke 14:25-33.
3. "That we should renounce & comparatively hate other things for the sake" of the kingdom of God (Matthew 13:44).
4. We are to "renounce ourselves" (Matthew 6:24).
5. We are to "strive to enter in at the strait and narrow gate" (Luke 13:24).
6. We are to "improve the means of grace which God has appointed and "search the Scriptures" (John 5:39).
7. We are to understand the concept of "The mammon of unrighteousness." For the "Wonderful Counselor" said, "He who is faithful in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much" (Luke 16:9-10.
8. We are to "wait and watch for the coming of our Lord" (Luke 12:35).
9. We are to "pray and seek against all discouragements and opposition" (Luke 18:1-8).
10. We are not only to "receive the kingdom of God as a little child" (Mark 10:15). We are to hear the precepts of God, and then "act upon them" (Matthew 7:24).~TKE~
Dr. Toby Easley
BLOGS on various Christian, academic, business, historical, cultural, and hobby interests of the author.